Darkness can be scary. I often feel like the small child who said, “I’m not afraid of the dark, just the things that are in the dark.”
Sometimes we walk in dark places. Sometimes we fear what those dark places will bring. We seek for an answer and sometimes it is not clear. It might even at times seem as if God is not there. The Psalmist described these dark times as weeping in the night. Paul equated it to a thorn in the flesh. James defines it as trying of our faith. Peter calls our affliction fiery trials. And Jesus referred to dark times as tribulations. Every child of God goes through them – trials, tests, and troubles.
So, what should we do when we walk in these dark places?
“Who is among you that feareth the LORD, that obeyeth the voice of his servant, that walketh in darkness, and hath no light?”
I am learning that I should never doubt in the dark what God has shown me in the light.
- He has shown me that while weeping may endure for a night, joy comes in the morning (Psalm 30:5).
- He has shown me that while I might be given a thorn in the flesh, His grace is sufficient (2 Corinthians 9:12).
- He has shown me that while my faith has been tried, it brings patience to my life (James 1:3).
- He has shown me that while fiery trials are hard, they are no strange thing (1 Peter 4:12).
- He has shown me that while we will have tribulations in this world that we should be of good cheer. Jesus has overcome the world (John 16:33).
“Who is among you that feareth the LORD, that obeyeth the voice of his servant, that walketh in darkness, and hath no light? let him trust in the name of the LORD, and stay upon his God.” Isaiah 50:10
The answer is right there: We are to trust in the name of the Lord and lean upon Him. No matter what that dark place looks like, we know that God is there. He will never leave his children or forsake them. Maybe for you the path is clear and the light is bright. Praise Him during this time. But maybe the day grows dim and the shadows appear. Remember, dear child, do not doubt in the dark what God has already shown you in the light.